In the 17, almost 18, years I've been around, I've noticed myself grow and change so much. I used to be this extremely timid girl who always hid in the background and barely ever spoke. Now look at me, I'm in a billion clubs at school, and I even anchor on our school's T.V. program. Talk about a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.
Of course every event and person I've come across has morphed me into the "butterfly" I am today, but the person that had the most impact on making that happen, was my 5th grade best friend, Najma Ismail. As kids, we were polar opposites. I was the girliest girl in the world, and she was a total tomboy. I played with dolls, wore dresses, I was always quiet and polite, and kept to myself. Najma was polite too, but she was so much more outgoing. She played any, and every sport she could, she always wore a jacket and jeans, and she was everyone's friend, even the boys. At 11, I was still avoiding boys.
Despite our differences, everyday at recess, she'd drag me along to all the kick-ball tournaments, out to the field to pass a football, or over to the nets to kick around a soccer ball with all the boys. I was against it at first, it wasn't "me," but then it started to grow on me, it was fun. Soon I started talking to people more, I learned that I was athletic, and I became so outgoing.
She broke me out of my shell. Middle school years are awkward for everyone, but for me, let's just say: sweats, ponytails, sports and only guy friends. It was nothing like elementary school, I had become a total tomboy. I outgrew that of course, but thanks to Najma always pushing me as kids, I've become the bubbly, outgoing person I am today. All of it had stuck with me, I'm so confident in myself and I'm willing to try new things and meet new people. I take any chance I can get to stand up in front of people and just act like a total goofball. That was the best thing she taught me: to always have an open mind in life. Without her, I'd probably still me the quiet girl with no friends, hiding in the back corner.
No comments:
Post a Comment